John,
In your
role as Ruling Elder at Northside, I am seeking your advice/guidance regarding
the correction of what I perceive to be an erroneous statement made in a recent
Sunday School class, one you attended.
In an
effort to correct this perceived miscommunication, I tendered the following to
John Roberts:
John,
I
have expressed my appreciation for your classes on more than one occasion, and
I want to begin by reiterating that appreciation. I have benefited from them
and value the opportunity to participate in the discussions.
Unfortunately,
perhaps either because my comment was inartfully phrased or I may have
misunderstood your response, I left class concerned that our discussion may
have given those in attendance the impression that Charles Taze Russell’s
translation of John 1:1c, as reflected in the New World Translation, is
correct; namely, “the Word was a god.”
The
specific issue I intended to raise concerned the Greek construction kai ho
logos eimi theos.
Although
I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in either Koine or modern Greek to claim
certainty regarding all the grammatical issues involved, I do have some
familiarity with the use of articles. I understood you to say that Greek does
not have definite articles. I suspect, however, that you may have meant that the
noun theos is anarthrous in John 1:1c—that is, that it appears without the antecedent
definite article.
If
so, I do not believe it was clearly established during the discussion that the
absence of the article before θεός cannot, by itself, legitimately support
translating the verse, “the Word was a god.” My understanding is that John 1:1
simultaneously expresses both distinction and deity: “the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.”
The
Greek construction more naturally communicates something along these lines: The
Word was distinct from the God with whom He existed, yet the Word was Himself
fully and truly theos, possessing the divine nature.
I
realize, of course, that class time is limited, and I readily acknowledge the
possibility that I misunderstood either your statement or the context in which
it was made. If the session was recorded, perhaps reviewing that portion of the
discussion would help determine whether there was a misunderstanding.
Because
of the technical nature of this subject and because I did not want to create
unnecessary confusion or prolong the discussion during class, I thought it
would be better to raise the matter with you in this manner. If you would care
to discuss it further, I would be very happy to do so.
SDG,
Tom
Rhudy
In a
subsequent discussion, John Roberts (hereinafter “JR”) stated that Koine Greek
did not have a definite article and indicated that he did not believe any
members of the class had been confused by the discussion. I recognize that you
subsequently indicated that you did not understand JR to have said that “a God”
was an acceptable translation of John 1:1(c). Nevertheless, Greg Freihofer
stated that he understood JR to have affirmed “a God” as an acceptable
translation of John 1:1(c).
Irrespective
of whether any member of the class was, in fact, confused by the statement, the
substantive issue remains. JR did not deny having made the statement, and the
translation thereby affirmed “a god” is theologically significant because it
denies, or at minimum materially diminishes, the full deity of Jesus Christ as
affirmed by historic Christian orthodoxy.
I would
respectfully draw your attention to the fact that Koine Greek does, in fact,
employ the definite article in numerous grammatical contexts, several examples
of which are identified below. It is certainly true that Koine Greek does not
possess an indefinite article corresponding directly to the English “a” or
“an.” That observation, however, is not germane to the issue under discussion.
At no
point was the question of whether Koine Greek possesses an indefinite article
the substantive issue before the class. The pertinent grammatical question was
whether an anarthrous noun (viz., a noun appearing without the antecedent definite
article) necessarily requires the insertion of the English indefinite article
in translation. It does not. The absence of the Greek definite article
does not, by itself, establish that the noun should be rendered with the
English indefinite article.
Accordingly,
the fact that Koine Greek lacks an indefinite article does not, standing alone,
provide grammatical justification for rendering John 1:1(c) as “the Word was a
god.” The grammatical function of the anarthrous θεός in this particular
construction must be considered within the syntax and context of the passage
rather than determined simply by the absence of the definite article.
One of the most important points in understanding Koine Greek articles, especially in New Testament interpretation, is that Greek has a definite article, but it does not have a separate indefinite article equivalent to English a/an.
1. The
Greek definite article
Koine
Greek has a definite article:
- ὁ — masculine singular
nominative
- ἡ — feminine singular
nominative
- τό — neuter singular
nominative/accusative
And it
changes according to gender, number, and case:
|
Masculine |
Feminine |
Neuter |
|
|
Nom. sg. |
ὁ |
ἡ |
τό |
|
Gen. sg. |
τοῦ |
τῆς |
τοῦ |
|
Dat. sg. |
τῷ |
τῇ |
τῷ |
|
Acc. sg. |
τόν |
τήν |
τό |
|
Nom. pl. |
οἱ |
αἱ |
τά |
|
Gen. pl. |
τῶν |
τῶν |
τῶν |
|
Dat. pl. |
τοῖς |
ταῖς |
τοῖς |
|
Acc. pl. |
τούς |
τάς |
τά |
Thus:
ὁ λόγος
= the word
θεὸς
= God / a god / deity depending upon context
The
absence of an article does not, by itself, mean "a."
2.
Greek has no indefinite article
English
distinguishes:
the God
a god
Koine
Greek does not have two corresponding articles.
So Greek
can write:
ὁ θεός
literally, "the God"
but also:
θεός
which might be translated:
- God
- a god
- deity
- divine
depending
on its syntactical and contextual function.
This is
particularly important in interpreting John 1:1c:
καὶ θεὸς
ἦν ὁ λόγος
Literally,
the construction is approximately:
"and God was the Word"
or more naturally:
"and the Word was God."
The
important observation is that θεός lacks the article, while ὁ
λόγος has the article.
That
fact alone does not justify translating θεός as "a
god."
As you are
one of Northside’s Ruling Elders, I leave the matter in your hands. If you feel
confident those in attendance were not misled, the matter should end here.
However, if you feel as though clarification is required, then I would
encourage that clarification sooner rather than later.
Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment