Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Raucous Applause

 Pastor:

I am reticent to raise these issues with you and would not be offended if you elect not to respond to the issues raised in this format. Unfortunately, there is little-to-no opportunity to discuss issues following services.


Once again, I enjoyed your most recent sermon. You did raise the issue of “raucous applause” following adoption of legislation in some states regarding infanticide. Currently, I believe the states of Maryland and Colorado have passed such legislation. I also believe New York either has or is likely to pass such legislation.


You also discussed the need to be led by and yielded to God’s authority. I certainly agree and am thankful to hear such admonitions from pulpits.


I realize that there are myriad views pastors hold regarding the need to engage in the sphere we so often relegate to “politics.” (If you have an interest in my view regarding this topic, you may find my blog post here: 

tinyurl.com/4542u39u)


During a recent brunch with a few Hope members, related topics emerged. Many of those present suggested that it was the pastor’s duty to address such issues publicly. Sadly, in my opinion, there are many serving in pulpits who either remain mute or offer very confusing, if not damning, advice regarding such topics.


During one of the Sunday School classes, we arrived a little early for second-service and I stepped inside and heard an exchange between you and a young lady in the class regarding the LGBTQIA+ movement. I understood your response to be essentially, referring to your sister-in-law, “She knows how I feel about it.”


My concern is that, yes, those in our orbit likely know how we feel. But how many are capable of articulating a biblical response to such issues. If we are to yield to God’s authority in our lives, we must first know what the Bible explicitly and implicitly teaches. (“How can they hear without a preacher?”)


As previously stated, you addressed infanticide. However, the most prevalent harm being done in related matters is abortion. My understanding is that infanticide is only legally permissible in aforementioned states in failed abortive attempts.


I think that it is irresponsible to assume that either most parishioners or pastors possess the facility to readily address such concerns when encountered. It appears to me that many congregations have abdicated their responsibility to lead their flocks. 


I ask your forgiveness if you find this unduly harsh. It is not my intention to offend. It is my earnest desire that God’s Word permeate our pulpits, hearts and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment