Pages

Monday, July 24, 2023

MANHOOD

 In response to recent comments by a talk-show host who described manhood as “drinking, fighting and chasing women,” I opined as follows:

I recently listened to a podcast of your July 20th program, during which you discuss what it takes to be a real man in today’s society. You may not find this directly applicable and I certainly realize that in today’s “Truth is Relative” culture, it may mean little to any of your listeners.


The concept of being a man, in my opinion, is universal, not situational. Throughout recorded history, although there are myriad exceptions, a man is seen as first and foremost as a protector.


Sadly, there are many who claim to be men who are only interested in protecting themselves, if anyone at all. They have no love of country and would rather support China’s than America’s interest. They have little interest in protecting their families. We need merely look at the escalation of fatherless homes. (No, I am not conflating being a man with the procreative-act. Rather, the emphasis is protecting that which is in your charge.)


Furthermore, character, from time immemorial, has represented manhood. I am reminded of Shakespeare’s Othello, in which Iago states: “Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls. Who steals my purse steals trash; ‘tis something, nothing; ‘Twas mine, ‘tis his, and has been slave to thousands; But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him, And makes me poor indeed.”


Our characters our established by meaning what we say (i.e., “man-of-my-word”). A statement attributed to Horace Greeley may be germane to our discussion: “Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings, only one thing endures and that is character.” 


Although there is much more to be said on this topic, allow me to conclude by stating that to be a man is to be a provider. A man must provide, if others are not reliant on him (Yes, “Him”! Not “they,” “zim,” “zir,” ad infinitum.), then for himself. A man must be removed from the state in which he becomes a blood-sucking leach, reliant on others for hearth and home.


There is so much more to be said on this topic, but this is already too lengthy.


Best wishes,

No comments:

Post a Comment