Pages

Friday, January 13, 2023

WHATEVER BECAME OF DISCIPLINE?

 Allow me to state at the outset that I am neither licensed as nor a practicing mental health practitioner. Although I have trained literally thousands of male and female healthcare providers from various fields, to include psychologists and therapists, I am not an expert in any of the mental health disciplines.


I write this as an individual who has observed, with alarm, the psychologization of virtually any and all crude behaviors. The title of this post was inspired from an episode of “The Liquidator,” in which Jeff Schwarz states, “I need to go to anger management.”


This statement followed on the heels of Jeff throwing a tantrum, not unlike a 3 year-old, because something did not proceed in the manner he desired. My immediate reaction was to think, “You don’t need anger management. You need to grow up!”


Consistent with Schwarz’ character, a female employee became hysterical, to the point of sobbing, tears and shaking, when Schwartz elected to purchase furs to be sold in the warehouse. Please tell me that you do not believe that this response arose naturally from a revulsion of fur coats. It is undeniable that this was a conditioned response, triggered by a so-called “Progressive’s” worldview. Such childlike behavior is deemed endearing to those embracing this particular ideology.


Prisons are filled with those who refuse, yes, I said refuse, to manage their frustration/anger. Like children, when things don’t proceed as intended, they throw their tantrums. Sadly, as putative adults, they often inflict mayhem on society. Too frequently, these tantrums result in domestic violence, abuse of any unfortunate target and even homicide.


Although we don’t like to consider the issue of suicide, this consequence often arises from an inability to cope with one’s environment. There are many facets to this epidemic. However, it appears quite obvious, at least to me, that if an individual manages their behavior, they are unlikely to engage in this activity.


I’ve posted previously about my views on infantilization of society. Efforts to psychologize and excuse infantile behavior in adolescents and adults is not healthy for any societal group.


There are those today who expose their entire families, to include pets, to psychotropic drugs. In lieu of modifying your behavior, why not pop a pill? It is interesting to note that in many instances, the behavior is not improved and those on the psychotropics become more and more dependent on them to make them feel comfortable with themselves.


Dr. Karl Menninger, MD,  world-renowned psychiatrist, wrote “Whatever Became of Sin?” I think that we should examine the question “Whatever Became of Discipline?” 


It is obvious that rates of so-called psychological impairments have increased exponentially. It is undeniable that many children in schools today are taking medications intended to permit them to listen to teachers, avoid engaging in abruptive behavior, remain seated during class periods, avoid conflicts with other students, etc.


Unfortunately, many parents have abdicated child-rearing responsibilities. Excuses for doing so include financial, lack of resources, no desire to deal with childhood antics, etc. Sadly, many households today have only one parent. These are certainly challenges, but not justification to abdicate this responsibility to others.


For those of you who wish to engage in speculation that this author cannot relate to the foregoing challenges, au contraire. I am the seventh of seven. My father died, at 44 years of age, when I was six years old. My mother never remarried. My mother did not believe in government assistance (e.g., Welfare, etc.). I began working at 6 years of age, hawking newspapers, etc. We didn’t want to refer to ourselves as “poor.” We preferred “financially challenged.” My mother worked a minimum of 2 jobs and my sister and I were the quintessential “latch-key” kids.


I frequently hear adults say, “I can’t sit still,” “I have ADHD,” “I need anger management,” ad infinitum. Yes, you can sit still, you simply don’t want to. (Obviously, there are rare neurological conditions that result in involuntary movements.) It is unlikely that you have ADHD, whatever that encompasses. It is very likely that your immaturity is such that you simply won’t respectfully listen to or observe what is being presented.


Finally, it is very likely that you don’t need anger management. You just need to grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment